Recommendations must be from your guidance counselor or principal and from current teachers. For example:
The recommendation forms can be found on the application home page under “Action Items.” Please follow the directions below.
1. Contact your recommenders to find out their email address. Please tell them to use the work or personal email address associated with their SEEDS account (if they have one). You will not be able to complete the online recommendation request without entering their email address.
2. Once you have your recommender’s email address, log back into your child’s application by clicking here.
3. Enter the email address and password you used to create your child’s application and click “Sign In.” If you have forgotten your password, please click the “Help: I forgot my password” on the login page.
4. Once you have logged into your account, go to Step 2: Recommendations on the home page and click “Send Request.”
5. A screen will pop up instructing you to enter the recommender’s email address. This email should be of your child’s teacher or counselor. Please note, you cannot print out this form.
6. In the box labeled “Message to Recommender,” type a message to your recommender letting them know you are applying to NJ SEEDS. Include a due date for them to complete the recommendation prior to the application deadline. Providing a due date prior to the deadline will give your recommender a chance to complete it.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 for the additional Recommendations listed under the “Action Items.”
1. Log back into your application account.
2. Click “Edit Request” for the recommendation you would like to correct.
3. Read the instructions in the blue box and then click “Cancel this Request.”
4. Then click the “Submit” at the bottom of the blue box. If you do not click submit, your request will not be cancelled.
5. Click “OK.”
6. You will then be back on the application home page.
7. Click “Send Request” and enter the correct email for the person you would like to send the recommendation to. It is VERY IMPORTANT for you to double check the email address for correct spelling.
When a teacher or counselor is not receiving the recommendation request email, it is usually one of three things:
1. The email was entered incorrectly by the applicant family. Make sure nothing is misspelled. Then confirm with the recommender that you have the correct email address for them.
2. Mostly, it is because the recommender may have given you a different email address than the one that is associated with their SEEDS account. Ask the recommender what email address they are using to log into their recommendation account so that you can make sure they gave you the correct email address. Only ONE email address can be associated with their NJ SEEDS account. (If your teacher or counselor has questions about this, they can contact SEEDS at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
3. The email may be stuck in their spam or junk folders. Please ask them to check for the email there.
All hard copy admissions materials (report cards/transcripts, tax paperwork and test scores) can be mailed to:
Attn: Admissions Office
494 Broad Street, Suite 105
Newark, NJ 07102-9981
OR materials can be dropped off at our office (address above) from Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
OR materials can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. If you chose to email your materials, please enter the applicant’s name in the subject line of your email.
Every application receives a comprehensive review by the SEEDS Admissions Committee. We look at many different factors when making admission decisions. They range from how well the applicant is doing academically to their extracurricular activities to the strength of their application, along with other factors. Our scholars are A/B+ students with extracurricular achievement who meet our financial requirements.
Once the initial review is completed, the Admissions Committee will then select the applicants they would like to invite for an interview. After interviews are completed, SEEDS will notify you of your admissions decision via email. Those admitted or placed on a Waitlist will receive additional materials in the mail.
Each year our pool of applicants becomes more and more competitive. We will take note that you have had a family member in the program, but it will not be a determining factor in the selection process.
Applications for SEEDS Scholars and Young Scholars Programs open in September and close in early February (confirm deadlines by visiting our calendar). To complete our online application, you must first submit the inquiry form. Applications will only be emailed to eligible families who complete the inquiry.
If you are a high school student interested in our College Scholars Program, you can learn more here.
We do not have paper applications available. If you are having difficulty, please call our office for assistance at (973) 642-6422.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from NJ SEEDS confirming the submission. Afterwards, you should log back into your application and complete remaining action items.
SEEDS encourages you to check back periodically to see if your recommenders have submitted the necessary forms. Also, make sure to forward your previous year’s 1040 tax form to us. You will be able to check the status of each item from your application home page.
Early Decision allows highly qualified students to apply and find out their admission decision earlier than the applicants who apply though Regular Decision. The Early Decision application pool is more competitive than the Regular Decision pool.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your child’s school, the school’s town, the date of your PTA meeting and your contact information. We will respond to your request within 3-5 business days.
Yes. The student must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply. Parent(s) must have completed last year’s US 1040 tax form. Families who complete the US 1040 tax form with their Tax ID are eligible to apply as long as their student is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. All permanent residents will be required to send proof of citizenship before an admissions decision is rendered. For families who are taking advantage of the Dream Act, we cannot accept your Dream Act Card as proof of residency, as applicant families must have completed the residency process with paperwork by the time of application. If your child was born outside of the United States, we will require proof of citizenship. A request for proof will come from the Admissions Department. Should you have any questions, please call (973) 642-6422.
As part of SEEDS’ admissions criteria, we require our families to meet our financial requirements. In order to confirm this, we require the student’s guardian(s) to submit their previous year’s federal 1040 form. We will use the total income listed on Line 15 and the total number of exemptions to determine income eligibility. If a family exceeds our financial requirements, they will be notified and removed from the SEEDS’ admissions process.
Eligibility decisions are made on the previous year tax information only. Future and past returns will not be accepted in place of the previous year’s tax information. If you are on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), request a verification form by emailing us at email@example.com.
Household Size………………………………………………Total Income (Line 15)
Up to 4 members…………………………………………….$70,000 or below
5 ……………………………………………………………….$75,000 or below
6 ……………………………………………………………….$80,000 or below
For each additional dependent, add $5,000.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s full name, the school they attend and what information needs to be updated. Please allow 72 hours for the changes to take place.